What is Read Play Blog?
Here’s the blurb that accompanies the banner:
Read Play Blog is a meme about video games and books, posted every 16th of the month. Bloggers are encouraged to answer a discussion question, and recommend a video game that is similar to a book they liked. Hosted by Happy Indulgence & Read Me Away.
A while back, I was wondering about balancing my hobbies of playing video games and reading books. Then I thought, why not combine the two? I wanted a little meme or monthly event where I talked about gaming on my blog, and recommended a game based on a book that I liked. Thus, Read Play Blog came into existence!
I asked the wonderful Jeann of Happy Indulgence for her help, and she has been an absolute gem. :) I would also like to thank Kelly of Diva Booknerd for making our banner. Doesn’t it look awesome?! :D
Who can participate?
Anyone who likes video games! Whether you’ve been playing since you could hold a controller, or you’ve only discovered it this year, you can join. Whether you spend hours playing or play a game casually, you can join. It doesn’t matter how long you’ve been playing, how many games you own, how much time you’ve spend on a game. As long as you like games, you’re very welcome to participate!
Just be sure to include your link in the linky so we can check out your post too. ;)
How does it work?
This event happens every 16th of the month. Participants are encouraged to:
- Answer a question related to gaming (questions at the bottom of this page)
- Recommend a game similar to a book/genre (“if you like x book/genre, why not try y game?”)
- OR: Just recommend a game that you really enjoy! If you can’t think of a book/genre and game connection, it’s okay.
- Tell us what you’re currently playing
- Link up in the linky!
Posts can be as long as short as you want. As long as you’re having fun!
When do I post?
The hosts’ posts go up on the 16th of the month, and you can post on that date if you want. If you’re a little late, it’s fine. Whether you post right on the 16th with us, or on the 24th, or even the 15th of the next month, it’s fine! Any day in that one-month period is totally fine. Just remember to link us to it so we see it!
- September: Is there a video game that surprised you when you played it, whether in a good or bad way?
- October: Surprise zombie apocalypse! Which three game characters are on your survival team?
- November: When do you game and when do you read?
- December: What games are you looking forward to in the holiday season? (Suggested by Michelle @ In Libris Veritas)
Join us, and let me know!
- July: How did you get into gaming?
- August: What is your favourite gaming genre?
- September: What is your preferred gaming platform?
- October: What game character would you like to be this Halloween?
- November: What’s your favourite sci-fi game?
- December: What is on your gaming wishlist? Recommend something to gift to a friend!
- January: What games are you looking forward to in 2015?
- February: What video game character would you take on a Valentines date? Recommend the game with your favourite couple!
- March: Do you prefer multiplayer or singleplayer games? Recommend your favourite!
- April: Do you own any gaming merchandise? Show them off, or tell us what merch you would most love to have!
- May: Show off your gaming set up!
- June: Which video game would you want to live in or be the main character of?
- July: What geek conventions have you been or would like to attend?
- August: Which game character(s) do you relate to the most?