I was tagged by the lovely Briana of Pages Unbound for The Book Blogger Test, and I’m happy to fill it out! Read on to find out more about some reading habits. :)
1. What are your top three book pet hates?
- Love interest = brain transplant: When a heroine suddenly does a complete 180 in terms of attitude all because of a love interest, I cringe. I mean, I’m all for character development but when a heroine suddenly changes everything about herself because of a love interest, I’m so out of there.
- Everyone’s in love with the heroine: It’s one thing if she’s got a few admirers, it’s another thing if everyone is falling over themselves to earn her love. If the book keeps trying to underscore how amazing/pretty/hot/sexy/totally gorgeous she is, and ignores other aspects of her personality, so out!
- Unnecessary love triangles: I get it, I get it. You want to add drama to your story. When a love triangle just seems really out of place or shoe-horned into the story, I can’t deal.
2. Describe your perfect reading spot.
A really comfortable couch enough for me to stretch my legs, a warm blanket over me, a warm cup of tea sitting on a nearby table, and some biscuits within easy reach.
3. Tell us three book confessions.
- There are some contemporary titles that everyone loves, but I just cannot love as well. An example would be Stephanie Perkins’ Anna and the French Kiss series. I guess it just isn’t for me.
- I don’t really pay attention to release dates. I may have a vague idea of when a book comes out, but I don’t wait or count down the days until I can buy the book. I don’t buy the book right on release day either, unless it’s something I REALLY want to buy.
- I don’t like the bad boy character. For me, he isn’t as swoony as the good boy-next-door character.
4. When was the last time you cried during a book?
I don’t think I cry when I read books. Maybe? Uh… I guess a time when I felt emotional was when I was reading Turning Tides (Elements #3) by Mia Marshall.
5. How many books are on your bedside table?
My bedside table is cluttered with other things right now, BUT if my iPad counts then maybe two books on it that I still have to get around to reading.
6. What is your favorite snack while you’re reading?
Something dry, sweet, and easy to eat. Like a biscuit! I like apples but my sticky apple-juiced hands should never touch my books!
7. Name three books you would recommend to everyone.
- Anything from Terry Pratchett’s Discworld series.
- Bossypants by Tina Fey
- Turning Tides by Mia Marshall
8. Show us a picture of your favourite bookshelf on your bookcase.
My bookshelf is pretty messy so this is the “neatest” shelf there. There’s my prized Tolkien box set, gorgeous print copies of Mia Marshall’s Elements series (first two books so far!), some Terry Pratchett, Melina Marchetta, Marissa Meyer, and other books that I like reading. :)
9. Write how much books mean to you in just three words.
Open the world.
10. What is your biggest reading secret?
I don’t really know if any of my reading “secrets” are actually secrets. Hm… I have a few classics on my shelf, but I don’t feel like reading them. I have Emma, A Tale of Two Cities, Great Expectations, The Canterbury Tales, and so on. But I really don’t feel like reading them, oh no!
So, now the tags! I tag the following wonderful bloggers:
And anyone who wants to try this out! :)